The BFI Documentary Residential Academy is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet award winning filmmakers, network, learn practical filmmaking skills and produce a documentary that will be screened in front of friends and family. If you love documentary film then this is the course for you!
- Masterclasses with high level industry professionals including the director of 'Odd One Out', the BBC 3 documentary about Jesy Nelson, Oscar winning director Orlando von Einsiedel and the award winning director of 'For Sama', Waad al-Kateab, plus many more.
- A high mentor to participant ratio.
- Practical skills workshops.
- A screening of your film at a cinema.
- Becoming part of the BFI Alumni with access to paid work experience opportunities and training.
- You must be aged between 16-19 years on 21st January 2023.
- You must be able to attend all the dates.
- You must have a passion for documentary film.
- You must NOT be at university.
- You must be a resident of the UK.
- No formal educational qualifications are needed.
Bursaries & Fees
This course is subsidised by the Department for Education; however, we do ask for a fee to contribute to the running of the course. The fee depends on your household income, and it includes accommodation and food. You will only need to bring some money for snacks if needed.
If your household income is less than £29,927 the course fee is: £0
If your household income is between £29,928 - £47,883 the course fee is: £50
If your household income is between £47,884 - £65,839 the course fee is: £140
If your household income is more than £65,840 the course fee is: £210
DO NOT LET FEES DETER YOU.
We will offer a bursary to any successful applicant who needs it. This can also include the cost of travel to and from the course.
Online introductory weekend:
21st and 22nd January 2023
Online masterclasses/film development:
26th January (evening)
28th January (morning)
2nd February (evening)
4th February (morning)
9th February (evening)
12th - 18th February 2023
The residential venue is YHA Lee Valley Hostel, Windmill Ln, Cheshunt, Waltham Cross EN8 9AJ.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 5th December 2022